Briarcliff Nursery School was established in 1947 as a non-profit parent cooperative and has owned its present site since 1955.
Young children acquire knowledge when they are actively engaged in concrete hands-on experiences. We believe knowledge is constructed rather than copied and takes place through the child’s active participation.
Our program provides both a nurturing and stimulating environment that promotes the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of young children. The curriculum is planned for the age span of the group with special attention to the different needs, interests and developmental levels of the individual children.
Our goals are to:
- Provide materials and create situations which arouse curiosity, stimulate thinking and promote intellectual development
- Help children develop independence and enable them to function on their own with confidence and security
- Promote social development by helping them be respectful of the needs and feelings of others and by developing their ability to interact successfully and cooperatively
- Promote emotional development by giving the children a chance to express themselves through the arts
- Help children develop a lifelong love of learning
Being part of a cooperative school gives our parents a unique opportunity to get to know other families in the school as they work side-by-side on events and projects integral to the school. Our parent-committees include: social, fundraising, substitution, library, maintenance and newsletter. Some involve work at the school, some from home to match with each family’s schedule & preferences. Additionally, parents may opt out of participation for an additional fee.
The school is supervised by two boards made up of parent volunteers, The Board of Trustees and the Executive Committee. The Boards are responsible for the overall functioning of the school including school policy, annual budget, setting of tuition, salaries and all fundraising.
The school director is responsible for the educational program and works with the elected officers to set policy and operate the school.